A baselayer is worn next to your skin, often as part of a layering system – a ‘first line of defence’ against cold.
Often softer than merino wool, almost four times more absorbant that cotton and kinder to the environment than synthetics, bamboo is an ideal performance fabric and perfect for baselayers. The micro pockets of air in the fibres get trapped and warm up next to the skin, whilst it effectively wicks moisture away, ensuring if you do sweat in cold weather, it doesn’t leave you wet, cold and vulnerable when you stop.
BAM, the UK bamboo clothing company, has an extensive range of bamboo baselayers for both men and women in a variety of designs, colours and prints.
The benefits of bamboo include:
- Soft & luxurious – bamboo is to cotton what cashmere is to wool – a more luxurious feel
- Antibacterial – bacteria does not live well in this fabric so it doesn’t get smelly, even after many days
- Anti-static – so it sits very well next to your skin, not clinging to it
- Moisture wicking – BAM fabric absorbs moisture away from the skin keeping you drier
- Thermo-control – thanks to hollow microfibers, it keeps you cooler in the heat; warmer in the cold
- UV protection – it cuts out 97.5% of harmful UV rays so perfect for travel and holiday cover ups
And it’s good for the environment:
- Super Fast – bamboo is the fasted growing plant in the world so yields more often from the same plot
- Greater Yield – bamboo yields the same volume as cotton from 10% of the land area
- Grows Naturally – it thrives naturally without using pesticides or fertilisers, and only needs rain water to grow
- Biodegradable – 100% biodegradable
- Soil Stability – as a grass, bamboo is cut not uprooted so is good for the soil. Plus it can be grown on slopes that are not viable for other crops
For the full collection of baselayers, hoodies, leggings and accessories from BAM, visit the website.