Get your pre-race energy fix with Ultra Runner, Rob Martineau’s energy balls recipe
This recipe was created by a health food blogger who Rob Martineau worked with over the summer. “She made them for the entire Tribe team,” reveals Martineau, “and they didn’t last very long in the office!”
Packed with natural ingredients like dates, which have one of the highest carbohydrate content of any fruit, these cacao balls are jammed full of energy. Seeds and nuts also provide protein, while cacao is high in minerals. “Make a big batch at the start of the week and then keep them in the fridge for a pre-run boost,” says Martineau.
- Pit nine Medjool dates and blend them until they form a chunky paste.
- Next, blend a cup of almonds, one tablespoon of virgin coconut oil, a pinch of good quality salt and a tablespoon of raw cacao powder until the mixture forms a dough.
- Add a pod of cacao seeds and pulse a few times.
- Roll the dough to form small balls
- Leave to set in the fridge for a few hours before eating.