Boiled, scrambled, poached or, as in a frittata (aka posh omelette), eggs are a fabulously nutritious convenience food for athletes
They’re packed with high quality protein, healthy fats, vitamin A and C, and B vitamins, as well as a wide variety of minerals including potassium and iron. This delicious “power combo” of eggs, hot smoked salmon and watercress will help your muscles recover and repair after exercise, and supercharge the immune system to keep you in tip-top health.
Vegetarians might like to replace the salmon with chickpeas or roasted sweet potato or pumpkin. You can rustle this up in minutes after training.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 150g watercress, washed, stalks trimmed
- 150g hot smoked salmon, skin removed and flaked into pieces
- Zest of half a lemon
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 10 large, free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche
- 25g feta cheese, thinly sliced
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the crème fraîche. Season the eggs generously with salt, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg and then beat with a fork until combined. Set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan with an oven-proof handle and sauté the spring onions over a gentle heat for a few minutes until soft.
- Stir in with the hot smoked salmon and gently cook for a minute or two. Add the watercress and stir, gently until the watercress begins to wilt. Add the lemon zest and dried chilli, if using.
- Now pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook over a gentle heat, moving the mixture around with a spatula every now and then, until the bottom of the frittata is set and the top is still wobbly.
- Scatter over the feta cheese.
- Pop the frittata under the grill for another 2-3 minutes, to finish cooking the top. Try not to overcook the eggs at this point. The top should still be slightly wobbly.
Nutrition per serving Energy (kcal) 311 Protein (g) 26 Carbohydrate (g) 3 Fat (g) 22 Of which sugars (g) 1 Of which saturates (g) 6 Salt (g) 1 Fibre (g) 1