Using the tropical flavours in this mango and banana cake makes for a sweet, luscious and moist recipe, without the addition of large amounts of sugar or fat. The wholemeal flour, mangoes and bananas are all an excellent source of slow release carbs, while the fruit also gives a boost in vitamin C and potassium
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 45-50 minutes
Ingredients for 1 litre loaf tin
- 120g dried mango
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 large or 2 small ripe
- bananas, mashed with a fork
- 2 large, free-range eggs
- 60ml sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 125g self-raising white flour
- 125g self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- A little oil to grease the cake tin plus a tsp flour
- 100g icing sugar
- Juice of half a lime
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ gas mark 4.
- Place the dried mango in a small bowl and pour over boiling water until just covered. Leave to soak for 15 minutes. Drain and press to squeeze out the liquid.
- Meanwhile, grease a 1 litre loaf tin with a drop of oil and sprinkle with a teaspoon of flour. This stops the cake sticking to the tin.
- Chop the fresh mango in half. Scoop out the flesh.
- Mash the mango with a fork, or puree in a blender. Mash the banana with a fork.
- Take the soaked mango, and chop into small pieces.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork. Add the mango puree, banana and the oil and beat again with a fork until well combined.
- In another bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and mix together. Pour this into the egg/mango mixture and stir briefly until just combined.
- Gently stir in the dried mango pieces and the desiccated coconut.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until well-risen, golden brown on top and cooked through.
- While the cake is cooking, whisk together the icing with enough lime juice to make a fairly runny consistency.
- When the cake is cooked (check that a knife stuck into the centre comes out clean), remove from the oven. Leave to cool in the tin for about five minutes and then turn out into a wire rack.
- Place a plate under the wire rack and coat with the icing while the cake is still warm. The plate will catch the drips!
Nutrition per slice:
Energy (kcal) 263. Protein (g) 4 , Carbohydrate (g) 45, Fat (g) 8, Of which sugars (g) 26 , Of which saturates (g) 1.8 , Salt (g) trace, Fibre (g) 2.6