This humble root veg is not only packed with B vitamins, vitamin C and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, phosphorous and iron, but it also contains high levels of nitrates, which help to increase blood flow and oxygen delivery to muscles
In fact, studies of people who consume beetroot juice before training show increased endurance, and also greater speed and power. This has been seen with both concentrated beet juice and also cooked whole beetroot.
How to get your beetroot boost: An easy way is to add beetroot to your juices or smoothies, but if you prefer an indulgent treat why not try this moist chocolate beetroot cake.
- 100ml good quality rapeseed oil
- 175g (drained weight) vacuum-packed beetroot (not in vinegar)
- 175g dark soft brown sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50g raw cacao powder
- 200g low fat natural yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking parchment.
- Puree the beetroot in a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients, along with ¼ tsp salt, and blend until well combined.
- Scrape into the cake tin, level the surface and bake for 50 mins to 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.