If, like many people, you struggle to digest onions and garlic, always eat them cooked and avoid eating with other high fibre foods. Try this luscious recipe for a pre-biotic post-run top up
- 10g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful fresh sage (or 1 tsp dried sage)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and diced or crushed
- 4 red onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 large white onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 litres beef, vegetable or chicken stock
- Put the butter, oil, garlic and sage in a large saucepan and gently heat, adding the onions, leeks and shallots.
- Add the salt and pepper and cover with a lid (leaving a small gap for air to escape).
- Cook slowly for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When the onions and leeks are soft, add the stock, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with wholemeal crusty bread and Parmesan cheese.