Carly Tierney, a personal trainer at DW Fitness Clubs and an expert nutritionist shares this top recipe for sweet toothed runners who like a snack!
This is an easy recipe that makes use of the natural sweetness of numerous delicious ingredients.
- 1 ½ cups of hot water
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 cup of oats OR almonds – you choose!
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 50g desiccated coconut 2
- teaspoons of honey OR 1 teaspoon of Stevia sweetener
- ½ cup of butter 2 eggs
- Add your raisins, nutmeg and cinnamon into hot water and leave to soak for around five minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix your oats/almonds, coconut, butter, eggs, baking powder and honey/sweetener in a bowl.
- Add your raisin, nutmeg and cinnamon mixture to the bowl and work into a dough.
- You may need to add a little more water as you work the mixture. It needs to be smooth and supple enough to shape into separate cookies.
- Use a cookie cutter (or do it by hand) to create 15-20 separate biscuits on a greased tray.
- Bake in the oven at 160C for 10 to 15 minutes.